Monday, April 13, 2009

She Got Me Into This Mess

If I were to give the one reason I eventually chose Cygnar over Khador, it would be Katherine Laddermore. Or, more specifically - Katherine Laddermore, dismounted. But I didn't immediately buy the model - I was afraid (dare I say intimidated?) and so I admired from a distance. I told myself I was waiting for my hobby skills to improve.

But yesterday was my birthday, so I said screw waiting, and I went ahead and bought Laddermore. She's (It's?) even cooler than I thought she'd be, but I did encounter a few problems. Right off the bat, her mounted lance fell apart in my hands - I picked it up, and it broke right behind the modeled fist. urk And then I noticed that the pieces weren't dry fighting all that well - the two hemispheres of the horse body had large gaps between them. double urk

But I didn't despair, and I think both problems are surmountable. In the first case, I was able to pin the two lance pieces back together - since it broke right behind Laddermore's fist, I was able to drill the fist out and put a small pin in. Unfortunately, my drill was just a little too large, and so I ended up chipping away some of the lance's side. urk But the whole thing is hidden from the viewer, and I think I'll model the lance flush against the horse's body, making it less exposed and (perhaps) offering more places to glue the joint.

In the second case - poor fitting - I was pleasantly surprised. As I continued to play with the model, I realized Privateer Press and created the model such that the worst joints were either covered or craftily obscured. The joint line running down the horse's chest? Covered by a piece of armor. The joint behind the saddle? Hard to see, thanks to Laddermore's impressive cloak. I think that, with just a little bit of green stuff, I'll be able to make the model hold up to inspection.

But, my fearless readers: have any of you assembled Katherine Laddermore? When assembling and painting the model, any tips or tricks I should know?

No comments:

Post a Comment